Buckeroomama from Mamahood, Among Other Things tagged me on this, and I thought it’d be fun, for a Saturday, to play along.
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random facts about you.
3. Answer the questions given to you in the tagger’s post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag new people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and let them know they have been tagged.
11 Random Facts
1. I’m a dual national, which I thought would make me feel like a super cool super spy, whipping out my multiple passports, but actually it just freaks me out to irrational levels whenever I travel.
2. I learned to play piano when I was younger, but pianos are pretty hard to cart around, so I sometimes wish I’d learned the violin instead.
3. Whenever I need to zone out, I read, watch, or listen to Harry Potter.
4. When I get the hiccups, they’re really LOUD and sound a lot like burps.
5. I still have one wisdom tooth I was too lazy to go to the dentist and have taken out.
6. I’m allergic to penicillin, and can’t spell it without spell check.
7. When I need a little TLC, I’ll crawl in Toby’s lap and announce I need a hug, or 30 seconds or 2 minutes of loving. He’ll give it and then I’ll promptly go back about my day.
8. I went off birth control last May. So there’s that. I never know if this is something I can or should talk about here.
9. I get blisters really easily. Finding comfortable shoes is hard.
10. I’m prone to fainting spells from overexertion. I’ve fainted at least 5 times in my life, that I can remember.
11. I wish my humor would come through more in my writing, because truthfully, I love to laugh.
1. What is your bag style – big purse, backpack, messenger bag, etc.?
A medium-sized purse, big enough for the essentials (wallet, keys, cell phone, glasses, mosquito spray, journal & kindle), small enough to encourage me to purge regularly.
2. Do you collect anything? If yes, what?
Not like as a hobby or anything, but I have a tendency to collect tiny, cute, stuffed or carved animals for the house. Turtles, especially, though I do have some rabbits and owls.
3. What is one beauty advice you swear by?
Take good care of your skin. Following the advice of the French, I’m pretty religious about my skin care regimen and, thanks to that, I don’t have to wear a ton of makeup.
4. Pet peeves?
I have two: people who interrupt when others are talking (and assume they know what you’re going to say before you say it), and misused words & phrases (like when people say “loose” when they mean “lose,” or “deep seeded” instead of “deep seated,” or “do to” instead of “due to,” and…I have a long list). A lot of people still seem to have trouble with the whole apostrophe-s thing too, creating possessives where they don’t belong.
5. Do you recycle gifts?
I have a couple of times, but I don’t make a habit of it. I’m always afraid I’ll forget who-gave-what-to-whom and that it’ll come back to haunt me.
6. If you are to give yourself a Native American name, what would it be (Sitting Pretty, Laughing Burp…)?
In college, I had the name Little Big Foot Trip But No Fall….uh, it’s a long story.
7. Do you still read the papers or do you get most of your news online?
I read news almost exclusively online. I was a total news junkie in the States, but I think I’ve overdosed and now only pay it casual attention.
8. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
A turtle. An old, slow, wrinkly turtle.
9. Do you still write letters and cards or do you do them electronically these days?
Mostly electronically, but I really miss my nieces and nephew in the States and hate that I’m missing so much of their lives. So I started sending them handwritten cards and letters once a month. Sometimes I’ll add stickers or pictures. I always thought getting those Airmail envelopes in the mail when I was a kid was so cool, so I hope they like getting them too.
10. Leather watch strap or metal?
Metal. I still wear a Swatch watch I got in Florence back in 2002. My parents took me to Europe as a college graduation gift, and that’s my memento from the trip.
11. What was your favorite subject in school?
Tough question. In high school, it was literature and I probably would have stuck with it into college except I had a teacher my senior year of high school and a professor my freshman year in college who both managed to drum my interest right out of me. (Kind of an amazing feat, considering how much I love books.) In college, my passions included: painting, politics (specifically international relations and socialization), art theory, and philosophy. Totally useful stuff on the job market, I tell you.
1. If you had to live a homesteading kind of life (i.e. planting all your own food and raising cows and chickens and pigs, etc.), how do you think you’d do?
2. How many boyfriends (or lovers!) did you have before you got married (not counting your husband)?
3. If you could drop everything and take a one-week vacation all by yourself somewhere, where would you go? What would you do?
4. What chore do you hate the most?
5. What do you wish more people would know or notice about you?
6. Do you prefer heat or cold?
7. Red or white wine?
8. What are some of your go-to, easy dishes to cook at home?
9. Favorite way to unwind?
10. What’s your love language? (i.e. do you communicate love through: words of affirmation, acts of service, physical touch, purchasing gifts, or quality time?) Does it match your husband’s?
11. What is one skill you wish you had learned?
Lucy, from Queen Lucy the Valiant
Lenae, from Just Lenae
Chocolate Girl, from Just Another Reason to Eat Chocolate
Emily, from The Keeping Time
Alita, from Alita Jewel’s Treasures
Sarah, from This Heavenly Life